Greetings Jackson-Reed Community,
Last week included school activities and events that represented the best of Jackson-Reed and reminded us of why our school is so special. Thanks to everyone who attended our Back-to-School Night program on Thursday. I hope those who participated in the event enjoyed meeting our teachers and staff members as much as I enjoyed conversing with many of you as you navigated our campus. Please join me in thanking Mr. Minsker, Assistant Principal, for his time and effort in organizing this event.
In addition to Back-to-School Night last week, we had our Welcome Back to School Pep Rally. This Student Government Association (SGA) planned event resulted in our entire student body coming together to show their school spirit, cheering on our sports teams, and rooting for their classmates in a relay race. It was great to see our students demonstrate our R.O.A.R. values throughout the event and members of our SGA showing an example of active citizenship.
We also kicked off Hispanic Heritage Month last week, to celebrate and honor the history and contributions made by the Hispanic and Latinx community. Our Hispanic Heritage Month committee members planned events for students from September 15th – October 15th. We are grateful for their commitment to growing our Tigers’ knowledge and understanding of the Latinx and Hispanic culture, and for the commitment all members of our Faculty and Staff have in supporting our students.
Jackson-Reed's Back-to-School Night Event on Thursday, 9/14.
Jackson-Reed's first Pep-Rally of the 2023-2024 School Year!
NAF Academy Night:September 26th, 5:30-7:30 pm
Come and learn more about what the Jackson-Reed NAF Academies have to offer- all are welcome! Please RSVP here, by Monday, September 22nd. See the agenda below.
- 5:45-6:00 pm -Check-in & Arrival
- 6:00-6:50 pm- Presentation in Auditorium
- 6:50-7:30 pm- Academy Fair and Ice Cream Social in Atrium
Immunization Information for 23-24SY
Beginning in the 2023-24 school year, students in grade 11 may only attend school for a limited time without proof of immunization. If it is determined that your child in grade 11 has not received the required immunizations, you will receive a written notification stating that you have until Monday Dec. 4, 2023 to present proof of immunization or your child will not be allowed to return to school until they have received the required immunizations and provided documentation to the school.
Once the proper immunization documentation is presented to the school, your student will be allowed to return, and the missed days will be changed from “unexcused absences” to “excused absences.”
- If you are not sure if your student’s school immunization records are up-to-date, contact the school to find out.
- You may also contact your primary health provider or make an appointment for your student to receive their annual wellness visit.
- During the wellness visit, ensure the health provider completes the Universal Health Certificate or provides you with appropriate proof of immunization or medical exemption. You will need to give this immunization documentation to the school.
To upload your documents virtually, please access this website: https://forms.office.com/r/ZnWC43y6CA
Click here to read the entire message regarding Immunizations for SY 23-24.
Class T-shirt Competition 2023
Events this Week
- Monday, 9/18: Fire Drill @ 10:00 am (1st Period)
- Wednesday, 9/20: Club & Activities Fair in Atrium @12:00 pm -12:30 pm
- Wednesday, 9/20: Noche Para Familias in Atrium/Cafeteria/Classrooms (215, 219, 221, 224) @ 5:30pm -7:30 pm
- Thursday, 9/21: Voter Registration Drive w/ DC Board of Elections @11:55 am -12:40 pm
- 9/15-10/15: Hispanic Heritage Month
- Monday, 9/18: Girls Varsity Soccer Game CANCELED
- Monday, 9/18: Boys Varsity Soccer (HOMe) vs. McKinley Tech @5:30 pm
- Tuesday, 9/19: Volleyball (HOME) vs. Cardozo @6:15 pm
- Tuesday, 9/19: Boys JV Soccer (AWAY) vs. Gonzaga @7:30 pm
- Wednesday, 9/20: Boys Varsity Soccer (AWAY) vs. Dunbar @ 4:00 pm
- Wednesday, 9/20: Girls Varsity Soccer (AWAY) vs. Sidwell @4:00 pm
- Wednesday, 9/20: Girls JV Soccer (AWAY) vs. Sidwell @5:30 pm
- Wednesday, 9/20: Volleyball (HOME) vs. Stone Ridge @5:00 pm
- Thursday, 9/21: Boys JV Soccer (HOME) vs. Bullis @4:00 pm
- Thursday, 9/21: Boys Varsity Soccer (AWAY) vs. Bullis @4:30 pm
- Thursday, 9/21: Volleyball (AWAY @ Dunbar HS) vs. Coolidge @5:00 pm
- Thursday, 9/21: JV Football (HOME) vs. Roosevelt @6:00 pm
- Friday, 9/22: Field Hockey (AWAY @Justice HS) vs. Justice Tournament @6:00 pm
- Saturday, 9/23: Field Hockey (AWAY @Justice HS) vs. Justice Tournament @6:00 pm
- Saturday, 9/23: Volleyball (AWAY) vs. Anacostia @12:15 pm
- Tuesday, 9/26-Friday, 9/29: Senior Portraits in Auditorium Stage
- Tuesday, 9/26: NAF Academy Night, 5:30-7:30 pm in Auditorium & Atrium
- Saturday, 9/30: Play-in-a-Day Performance, 8:00 am- 10:30 am in Blackbox
- Saturday, 9/30: Tenleytown Art all Night, 7:00- 11:00 pm in Main Gym/Aux Gym/Rose Garden
- Monday, 10/2- Thursday, 10/5: Picture Days w/ Lifetouch in Auditorium
- Thursday, 10/5: HBCU College Fair in Aux Gym
Dual Enrollment: 10th-12th Graders
TigerTVLive is the YouTube channel that provides Free live coverage of athletic and other events at Jackson-Reed High School. We strive to provide live broadcast coverage of all home games. TigerTVLive broadcasts can be found by clicking here. Please subscribe and like.
Jackson-Reed developed a relationship with the National Federation of High Schools (NFHS) Network that also broadcasts live and has Video On Demand (VOD). The NFHS Network Broadcasts all home games and games at participating NFHS schools. VOD memberships are free. Live view subscriptions are $11.99 a month or $79.99 annually. Subscribe to the Jackson-Reed NFHS Network here.
School Locker Request
9th Grade Students & Those New to Jackson-Reed: Scan the QR Code posted throughout the school, or request a locker by clicking here.
10th , 11th , 12th Grade Students: Students must utilize their locker and combination for the previous school year.
NOCHE PARA FAMILIAS:Reserve la fecha: miércoles, 20 de septiembre, 2023. 5:30 - 7:30 pm.
Noche para familias es una sesión informativa para los padres/madres y tutores legales hispanohablantes. Las sesiones incluirán información sobre: (1) asistencia y comunicaciones con la escuela, (2) asesoría académica, (3) preparación para la universidad y el mundo laboral (4) computadoras para cada estudiante y programas en línea donde están las tareas y notas de los estudiantes. La sesión será en español. Se servirá una cena.
Save the Date: Wednesday, September 20th, 2023. 5:30 - 7:30 pm.
The Noche para familias is a Spanish-language parent meeting and information session. Sessions will (1) attendance and school communications, (2) school counseling, (3) college and career planning, and (4) student 1-to-1 computers and the programs which carry assignments and grades. The event will be entirely in Spanish. Dinner will be served.
Host an Italian Exchange Student and Visit Italy in Spring 202
(Postponing Italian Exchange Meeting from 9/21 to 10/5 at 7pm in Room 208-Mr. Geremia is ill)
- Dates: Host Italian students in DC from Thursday, March 21-Tuesday, March 26, 2024
- Hosting in DC: All the Italian students speak English. They are usually 16 years old and in their third year of high school. They will attend selected J-R classes in the mornings and tour DC in the afternoons. You’ll join your guest for evening and weekend activities. You’ll provide a warm welcome – a bed – meals – and transportation to and from school.
- Travel: Visit Italy April from April 11- Saturday April 20, 2024 (spring break – miss 1.5 days of school). You will fly in and out of Ancona, the city next to Falconara. You’ll stay in the home of the student you hosted. In most homes, at least one parent also speaks English. You’ll attend English classes and team-building activities at school and take trips to enjoy the beach, the mountains, and the food, culture, and history of Italy.
- Estimated Cost: $2000-$2200
- Group size: 20 students, 2 chaperones
Additional Updates By Area
Click on the headings below to see more information about each area. Please see "UPDATED" or "NEW" areas accordingly.