Greetings Jackson-Reed Community,
We hope you are doing well and that your weekend has been an enjoyable one. I spent time this weekend conducting the first Principal’s Coffee of the school year on Saturday and enjoyed meeting and interacting with so many families. I’m thankful to partner with so many thoughtful and supportive families and appreciate our PTSO for sponsoring these events. These sessions allow me to hear directly from families on their experiences and share updates on the school. One important update for this week is that Back-to-School Night will be taking place!
Please plan to join us on Thursday, September 14 from 5:30 pm – 8:00 pm for our Back-to-School Night event. This is an important event because it will give our families the chance to meet our Teachers, hear academic expectations and receive information on what our students will be learning throughout the course. This year’s format will allow you the opportunity to experience life as a high schooler by following your child’s scheduling.
A few tips, to help make the night a success:
- Review your child’s schedule in Aspen, this will allow you to know what classes they have and the room locations.
- Speak with your child about the class expectations and what will be covered in the course.
- Wear comfortable shoes, Jackson-Reed is a large building and there will be five minutes to transition between each class period.
We hope to see you on Thursday as we continue to connect as a school community.
Jackson-Reed's first Principal's Coffee this past Saturday (9/9) hosted by our wonderful PTSO!
Green & White Welcome Back Rally
Scheduled Lockdown Drill
One of the best ways to ensure a safe school environment is to practice our emergency drills and procedures. District of Columbia law requires our school to conduct several drills throughout the school year, one of which is a Lockdown Drill. A Lockdown Drill is used to secure our school building and campus during incidents that pose an immediate threat of violence in and around the school. Our school will conduct a Lockdown Drill on Wednesday, September 13th at 10:40 am during 2nd period.
NAF Night: September 26th, 5:30-7:30 pm
Come and learn more about what the Jackson-Reed NAF Academies have to offer- all are welcome! Please RSVP here, by Monday, September 22nd. See the agenda below.
- 5:45-6:00 pm -Check-in & Arrival
- 6:00-6:50 pm- Presentation in Auditorium
- 6:50-7:30 pm- Academy Fair and Ice Cream Social in Atrium
Events this Week
- Thursday, 9/14: Back-to-School Night, 5:30- 8:00pm
- Wednesday, 9/13: Scheduled Lockdown Drill, 10:40 am (2nd Period)
- Friday, 9/15: Start of Hispanic Heritage Month
- Monday, 9/11: Girls Varsity Soccer (HOME) vs. Bell CHECH @4:00 pm
- Monday, 9/11: Boys Varsity Soccer (AWAY) vs. St. Johns @4:00 pm
- Monday, 9/11: Boys JV Soccer (AWAY) vs. St. Johns @5:30 pm
- Tuesday, 9/12: Field Hockey (HOME) vs. Sidwell Friends @4:00 pm
- Tuesday, 9/12: Volleyball (AWAY at Dunbar HS) vs. Banneker @5:00 pm
- Wednesday, 9/13: Boys Varsity Soccer (HOME) vs. BELL CHECH @4:00 pm
- Thursday, 9/14: Girls JV Soccer (AWAY) vs. St.Andrews @4:00 pm
- Thursday, 9/14: Girls Varsity Soccer (AWAY) vs. St.Andrews @5:15 pm
- Thursday, 9/14: JV Football (HOME) vs. Coolidge @6:00 pm
- Thursday, 9/14: Volleyball (AWAY) vs. CHEC @6:15 pm
- Friday, 9/15: Field Hockey (AWAY) vs. Holy Cross @4:00 pm
- Friday, 9/15: Boys Varsity Soccer (AWAY- Field 1) vs. St.Albans @4:00 pm
- Friday, 9/15: Boys JV Soccer (AWAY- Field 2) vs. St. Albans @4:30 pm
- Saturday, 9/16: Varsity Football (HOME) vs. St. Albans @12:00 pm
- Wednesday, 9/20: Clubs & Activities Fair for Students, LUNCH TIME in Atrium
- Wednesday, 9/20: NOCHE PARA FAMILIAS, 5:30 - 7:30 pm
- Saturday, 9/23: Enrollment, 9:00 am -12:00 pm
- Tuesday, 9/26: NAF Night, 5:30-7:30 pm
- Saturday, 9/30: Tenleytown Art all Night in Jackson-Reed's Main Gym, 7:00-11:00 pm
Immunization Information for 23-24SY
Beginning in the 2023-24 school year, students in grade 11 may only attend school for a limited time without proof of immunization. If it is determined that your child in grade 11 has not received the required immunizations, you will receive a written notification stating that you have until Monday Dec. 4, 2023 to present proof of immunization or your child will not be allowed to return to school until they have received the required immunizations and provided documentation to the school.
Once the proper immunization documentation is presented to the school, your student will be allowed to return, and the missed days will be changed from “unexcused absences” to “excused absences.”
- If you are not sure if your student’s school immunization records are up-to-date, contact the school to find out.
- You may also contact your primary health provider or make an appointment for your student to receive their annual wellness visit.
- During the wellness visit, ensure the health provider completes the Universal Health Certificate or provides you with appropriate proof of immunization or medical exemption. You will need to give this immunization documentation to the school.
To upload your documents virtually, please access this website: https://forms.office.com/r/ZnWC43y6CA
Click here to read the entire message regarding Immunizations for SY 23-24.
NOCHE PARA FAMILIAS:Reserve la fecha: miércoles, 20 de septiembre, 2023. 5:30 - 7:30 pm.
Noche para familias es una sesión informativa para los padres/madres y tutores legales hispanohablantes. Las sesiones incluirán información sobre: (1) asistencia y comunicaciones con la escuela, (2) asesoría académica, (3) preparación para la universidad y el mundo laboral (4) computadoras para cada estudiante y programas en línea donde están las tareas y notas de los estudiantes. La sesión será en español. Se servirá una cena.
Save the Date: Wednesday, September 20th, 2023. 5:30 - 7:30 pm.
The Noche para familias is a Spanish-language parent meeting and information session. Sessions will (1) attendance and school communications, (2) school counseling, (3) college and career planning, and (4) student 1-to-1 computers and the programs which carry assignments and grades. The event will be entirely in Spanish. Dinner will be served.