Greetings Jackson-Reed Students, Families and Community,
Welcome back to the 2023-2024 school year at Jackson-Reed High School! We hope you had a refreshing and rewarding summer break. As we prepare to start this new phase of your educational journey, I’m excited to share some key updates that will contribute to an enhanced learning experience for our students:
Academic Gains – Our hardworking faculty and staff engaged in weekly data meetings to refine their instructional delivery. We are pleased to announce that their efforts last year led to improved academic performance on the Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers (PARCC). Our students showed a four percent increase in English and a seven percent increase in Math! We remain committed to fostering a supportive learning environment that challenges our students academically, and we look forward to celebrating more of their achievement together this year.
Facility Upgrades – We are excited to share some of the many upgrades to our building that have taken place this summer. Our commitment to an improved campus could not have been made without your help, which resulted in many parts of the building being enhanced. From freshly painted classrooms and hallways to fixed faucets and roof repairs, we are dedicated to creating a space that nurtures a sense of pride in learning.
Entry Procedures – To ensure a smooth start to the school year, we will implement a staggered arrival for our students on August 28th and August 29th:
- Arrival Time: Doors open for 9th and 10th grade students at 8:10 a.m. and they will report to first period. Doors open for 11th and 12th grade students at 9:35 a.m. and they will report to their second period. Please note, 11th and 12th grade students will be excused from their first period class on August 28th and August 29th.
- Entry Locations: All students will enter through either the main lobby entrance or the pool entrance. Staff will be available to redirect students to specific entry doors based on lines.
- Student Schedules: Student schedules are available in Aspen and students should log into their account to view their schedule. If a student is unable to locate their schedule in Aspen, they may pick-up a hard copy in the atrium.
As we start this new academic year, let us embrace the opportunities it brings and continue to work together as we create the model urban high school in the United States. Our shared commitment to our values of Respect, Ownership, Attendance, and Responsibility will undoubtedly lead to another year of academic and social-emotional growth for our students.
PrincipalJackson-Reed High School
See our Staff Welcome Back Video here.
A Message from School Counselors to Seniors
Congratulations! You have made it to your senior year! We truly enjoyed meeting with both you and your family (guardian) these past two weeks as we began the 2023-2024 school year. As promised, we met individually to solidify schedules, discussing Dual Enrollment, Letter of Understanding, Authorized Off Campus forms, and most importantly ensuring that each student/family is knowledgeable of their DCPS graduation plan. If you still have not met with your assigned School Counselor, please sign up for a mandatory meeting that will be held in person August 24th– 29th.
You can sign up here for the remaining days available.
- Monday, August 28th: 4:30- 7:00 pm
- Tuesday, August 29th: 4:30-7:00 pm
If you need a schedule change, please complete this form if you have a hole in your schedule, there is a course on your current schedule that you have taken AND passed, or if there is a course needed for graduation (seniors) that is missing. For incoming 9th graders, you can only change electives. Only one form per student will be accepted, on or after August 25, 2023.
Events this Week
NAF Academy Events
- Tuesday, 8/29-AOHT Field Trip to Warner Theatre
- Wednesday, 8/30-STEM Academy Student mentoring leaders kick-off meeting
- Thursday, 8/31-STEM Academy Student recruitment leaders kick-off meeting
- Girls Varsity Soccer vs. Georgetown Day School (Away) @6:00 pm
- Girls JV Soccer vs. Georgetown Day School (Away) @ 4:30 pm
- Boys Varsity Soccer vs. Duval (Away) @ 3:30 pm
- Boys JV Soccer vs. Duval (Away) @5:30 pm
- Tigers Football vs. Yorktown (Away) @7:00 pm
- Tigers Cheer- Yorktown @7:00 pm
- Boys Varsity Soccer vs. Flint Holl (Home) @4:00 pm
- Girls Varity Soccer vs. Clarksburg (Home) @5:30 pm
- Girls JV Soccer vs. Clarksburg (Away @ DEAL MS) @4:00 pm
- Tigers Cross Country vs. Woodward Relays (Away @ Georgetown Prep) @9:00 am
- Thursday, September 7th - NAF Academy Fair in Atrium at 5:30pm
- Saturday, September 9th- Principals Coffee at 10:00 am
- Thursday, September 14th – Back to School Night from 6:00-8:30 pm
Updates By Area
Click on the headings below to see more information about each area.