Greetings Jackson-Reed Community,
We had a strong start to Term 1 and look forward to building on our progress as begin Term 2 this week. We will continue to focus on our priority areas which are student attendance, literacy, and post-secondary planning. Several strategies are in place to ensure we meet the schoolwide goals targeted around these topics within our Comprehensive School Plan (CSP). We will continue to improve our attendance monitoring systems and implement interventions for students in need, we are addressing schoolwide literacy needs through a cross-curricular writing approach and are helping students prepare for success after high school by strengthening our Career and Technical Education programs and Academies. Resident Principal McKenzie, shared our CSP during the October Local School Advisory Team (LSAT) meeting and we will share progress and updates throughout the year.
This month, we will focus on post-secondary planning as it is DC's College Application and Exploration Month (DC CAEP). You can find Jackson-Reed's Senior-focused CAEP events by clicking here. There are several other things to celebrate in November.
In addition to CAEP, we will recognize National American Indian and Alaska Native Heritage Month. We look forward to sharing events or activities throughout the school to acknowledge these essential groups. November is also a month to show our gratitude. Jackson-Reed has many things to be thankful for, including our incredible students, excellent staff and faculty, and our supportive families. We are grateful to have you as part of our school community.
Events this Week
- College Admissions Rep Visits this Week
- Monday, 11/6: (Virtual Book Talk Mr. Bargeman), 6:30-7:30 pm
- Tuesday, 11/7: Girls Lacrosse Interest Meeting, 4:00-5:00 pm Rm 316B or 316A
- Tuesday, 11/7: Howard University Panel, 12:00-1:00 pm in Library
- Tuesday, 11/7- Thursday, 11/9: Credit Recovery in Library (Standing Event)
- Wednesday, 11/8: College Essay Mentoring in C.C.C (Standing Event)
- Wednesday, 11/8: Rox Girls Leadership Meeting, 11:30 am-12:30 pm in C.C.C.
- Thursday, 11/9: JROTC Formation Drills, 7:45-8:30 am in Aux Gym (Standing Event)
- Thursday, 11/9: Inova Blood Drive, 7:30-3:30 pm in Aux Gym
- Thursday, 11/9 - Saturday, 11/11: JR Theater Presents "She Kills Monsters" in Blackbox
- Thursday, 11/9: Field Trip to VA Military Institute ALL DAY (Sgt. Davis)
- Thursday, 11/9: Field Trip to Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History (Ms. Tababan)
- Friday, 11/10: Veterans Day, NO SCHOOL
9th & 10th Grade One-on One School Counselor Meetings
National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE) at Jackson-Reed
At JRHS, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and forward-thinking educational environment where students can explore their interests and discover their passions. Today's visit by the Howard University NSBE chapter exemplifies our dedication to providing our students with the best possible opportunities for growth and success. Once again, I would like to thank The PTSO, Mr. Myers, Ms. Elizabeth Teshai, and Mr. Dowd for their collective efforts in making this event possible. We look forward to continued collaboration and the realization of future events that further enrich the educational experiences of our students.
Athletics this Week
Wednesday, 11/8: Times & Locations TBD
- Boys Soccer DCSAA Quarter Finals vs Gonzaga
- Girls Soccer DCSAA Quarter Finals vs St John’s
- Volleyball DCSAA Quarter Finals vs TBD
- Monday, 11/13: Chat & Chew, 11:45 am- 12:50 pm in Library
- Tuesday, 11/14: NAF Monthly Academy Listening Session, 11:50 am-12:35 pm in Library
- Tuesday, 11/14-11/16: Credit Recovery (Standing Event) 3:45-5:30 pm in Library
- Tuesday, 11/14: LSAT Meeting, 6:00 pm- 7:30 pm in Principal's Conference Room
- Tuesday, 11/14: Ward 3 Education Network (Parent Engagement), 7:00-8:30 pm in Library
- Wednesday, 11/15: Senior Meeting, 11:00 am -12:00 pm in Auditorium
- Wednesday, 11/15: College Essay Mentoring (Standing Event) 3:30 -5:00 pm in C.C.C.
- Wednesday, 11/15: Senior Parent Meeting, 6:00-7:00 pm in Auditorium
- Wednesday, 11/15: Field Trip to WDG Architecture with Mr. Wims
- Wednesday, 11/15: Field Trip Smithsonian National Air & Space Museum with Ms. Baskins
- Wedensday, 11/15: College Funding for Undocumented Students, 4:30 - 5:30 pm at Cardozo Education Campus (1200 Clifton Street, NW)
- Thursday, 11/16: JROTC Formation/Drills (Standing Event), 7:45-8:30 am
- Thursday, 11/16: Field Trip to Italian Language School, 8:30 -11:30 am with Ms. Gerhardt
- Thursday, 11/16: Fall Sports Awards, 5:30-9:00 pm in Auditorium & Lobby
Softball Team: Parent/Guardian Meeting
The Softball Team will be holding a Parent/Guardian- Player information meeting on Monday, November 6th at 6:30pm. Food will be provided/ Please RSVP by clicking here.
Students Can Now Get a Free Capital Bikeshare Membership!
To help students get to school, goDCgo and Capital Bikeshare have teamed up to give District high school students free Capital Bikeshare memberships. Through this program, students 16 years and older can receive an annual Captial Bikeshare Membership (a $95 value) for FREE! The interest meeting has been rescheduled; more information will be provided soon!
- Date: November 8th, 2023
- Time: 4:30 PM - 5:30 PM
- Location: MacFarland Middle School, Media Room
Attendance: Excused Notes
If your child has any unexcused absences for TERM 1, please submit any medical or non-medical notes before 11/8/23, please email your grade attendance counselor, which can be found here, or send the excuse note via your child. The attendance data for Term 1 closes on 11/9/23. Per DCPS policy, we cannot accept any notes thereafter. The new cycle for Term 2 begins 11/10/23.
Note: In order for an absence to be excused, a written or emailed note must be provided to the school by the student's parent or guardian prior to a partial or full-day absence and within five (5) school days after the student's partial or full-day absence.
Additional Updates By Area
Click on the headings below to see more information about each area. Please see "UPDATED" or "NEW" areas accordingly.