Greetings Jackson-Reed Community,
Last week, students had a lot to celebrate! Several groups of students enjoyed some meaningful out-of-school time on field trips, visiting museums, attending expos, and visiting more college campuses! Moreover, on Thursday evening, our Athletic Department held the "Fall Sports Award Ceremony," which recognized students for their athleticism in soccer, football, field hockey, cross country, and volleyball. Coaches and families alike celebrated all their accomplishments and I’d like to thank Patrice Arrington, Athletic Director, for organizing this event.
This week, our "attitude of gratitude" continues! Our SGA is spreading this message with "Gratitude Grams," which we hope will encourage students to recognize individuals who have positively impacted their lives throughout the school building. We hope these small gestures of joy continue into your holiday weekend. Due to the Thanksgiving holiday, students will only have school on Monday and Tuesday and our main office will be closed Wednesday, November 22nd through Friday, November 24th .
We are grateful to have such a fantastic team of staff and families committed to our school community and students' educational success.
Events this Week
- Monday, 11/20: 10th Grade Town Hall, 10:40 am- 11:50 pm
- Monday, 11/20: Bikeshare Interest Meeting during LUNCH in College & Career Center
- Tuesday, 11/21: Youth Risk Behavior Survey (2nd Period)
- Tuesday, 11/21: NAF Academy Mentor/Mentee Mixer, 11:50 am 12:45 pm in the Library
- Tuesday, 11/21: Credit Recovery, 3:45-5:30 pm (Standing Event)
- Wednesday, 11/22- Friday, 11/24: No School for Students & Teachers
COVID Test Kit Distribution
Each student and staff will receive a COVID test kit from the warehouse. Students and staff are not being asked to share or upload negative results as these test kits are being provided as a public health resource.
- Test kits will be distributed to 2nd-period classes on Monday and Tuesday, November 20th and 21st so that each student can receive 2 test kits.
- Extra test kits will also be available at the Security Desk and the Main Office for those who didn’t receive a kit.
- Test kits will not be available in the Nurse's Office per DCPS/DC Health guidelines.
NAF Engineering Expo Extravaganza
Our Jackson-Reed NAF Academy of Engineering is hosting our annual Engineering Expo Extravaganza the evening of Dec. 6th from 6:00pm-8:00pm. Please see below for more information as well as a link to register if you are available to support and please feel free circulate the registration link to your colleagues and contacts in the engineering world to sign up as judges!
Athletics this Week
Winter practices only; no games scheduled.
This past week, we had the honor of awarding and celebrating all of our fall sports student-athletes at this year's Fall Sports Awards. Congratulations!
- Tuesday, 11/28- Thursday, 11/30: Credit Recovery, 3:30-5:30 pm in Library
- Wednesday, 11/29: College Essay Mentoring, 3:30- 5:00 pm in C.C.C.
- Thursday, 11/30: JROTC Formation, 7:45-8:30 am in Aux Gym
- Saturday, 12/2: SAT Test Day in J-R Building
- Wednesday, 12/6: NAF Engineering Academy Expo, 6:00-8:00 pm in Atrium
- Wednesday, 12/6: J-R Open House, 5:30-6:30 pm in Auditorium
Do you need help with material for your core science class? If so, come by the science center! Jackson-Reed's Science Center meets on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 3:45-4:15 pm in Room 226. Stop by if you need help with concepts from class. Please note that if you need to make up a specific assignment, that should be done with your teacher of record during their office hours.
November Food Drive!
Help support a local food pantry by donating canned, dried, or boxed foods! Let's see which class can donate the most!!!
Important Testing Information: Click on the Topic to Read More
SAT scores and PSAT scores have been released for the October 11 and October 12 administrations! SAT scores (and any outstanding PSAT scores) should be released on November 16. Scores can be accessed by logging into your student’s College Board account at studentscores.collegeboard.org. Below are some resources for interpreting the scores and some troubleshooting tips if your student cannot find their score.
Academy of Hospitality's "Breakfast for Dinner" Event
Calling all level 1 Academy of Hospitality and Tourism students and families!
Please join us December 14th from 5:30-7:00pm in the Atrium for our Breakfast for Dinner event. Our level-3 students will be hosting and serving breakfast food to level- 1 students and families. Please click here if you would like to attend.
Literacy Night Interest
Get ready for a literary extravaganza on January 11! We're thrilled to announce our upcoming Literacy Night, a vibrant celebration of the sheer joy of reading and a fantastic opportunity to ignite a love for literacy in our community. Dive into the excitement by filling out this super quick interest form—consider it your VIP pass to an unforgettable night of literary magic on January 11! Let's make this event unforgettable together!
Capital Bikeshare Update!
Due to the overwhelming response last Thursday, Capital Bikeshare is returning for one more session.
If you are 16 years of age or older, and would like a free Capital Bikeshare Membership, please come to the Info Session on Monday, November 20th in the College & Career Center during Lunch.
See you there Tigers!
Additional Updates By Area
Click on the headings below to see more information about each area. Please see "UPDATED" or "NEW" areas accordingly.