Greetings Jackson-Reed Community,
As we continue into November and center the theme of gratitude, I'd like to thank those who have served in our U.S. military for their courageous service and hope you enjoyed Veteran's Day on Saturday.
Several other events throughout the school led with gratitude this past week. Our Bio-Med NAF program partnered with Inova Hospital System on Thursday to host Jackson-Reed's annual Blood Drive. Two Bio-Med students, Safya Biswal and Angela Rios, led this initiative in memory of Reilly Webb, a late Wilson student who passed in 2017 after battling leukemia. Several students, parents, and community members donated blood and helped reach the anticipated goal.
Last week was also the start of our SGA holiday food drive, a competition between classes to see who can donate the most canned, dried, and boxed food. The drive goes until Monday, November 20th. All donations go to a nearby food pantry in Van Ness to support unhoused community members.
Senior college applications were another focus last week. DC-CAP General and Partnership Scholarships representatives supported several seniors in signing up for college financial assistance. Trinity Washington University also participated in onsite admissions and accepted seven Jackson-Reed Tigers, each receiving a scholarship to support their experience.
This week, I look forward to seeing students continue to give back to the community as we help them prepare for their future.
Events this Week
- College Admissions Rep Visits this Week
- Monday, 11/13: Chat & Chew, 11:45 am- 12:50 pm in Library
- Tuesday, 11/14: NAF Monthly Academy Listening Session, 11:50 am-12:35 pm in Library
- Tuesday, 11/14-11/16: Credit Recovery (Standing Event) 3:45-5:30 pm in Library
- Tuesday, 11/14: LSAT Meeting, 6:00 pm- 7:30 pm in Principal's Conference Room
- Tuesday, 11/14: Ward 3 Education Network (Parent Engagement), 7:00-8:30 pm in Library
- Wednesday, 11/15: Senior Meeting, 11:00 am -12:00 pm in Auditorium
- Wednesday, 11/15: College Essay Mentoring (Standing Event) 3:30 -5:00 pm in C.C.C.
- Wednesday, 11/15: Senior Parent Meeting, 6:00-7:00 pm in Auditorium
- Wedensday, 11/15: College Funding for Undocumented Students, 4:30 - 5:30 pm at Cardozo Education Campus (1200 Clifton Street, NW)
- Thursday, 11/16: JROTC Formation/Drills (Standing Event), 7:45-8:30 am
- Thursday, 11/16: Fall Sports Awards, 5:30-9:00 pm in Auditorium & Lobby
"Thank You" from Ms. Krafft & The Bio-Med Academy
SHOUT-OUT to all our AMAZING supporters who have recently contributed to our Biomedical Science Health Academy recent initiative, PINKTOBER FEST!!!! We received a large contribution from one of our Administrative staff, who BROUGHT HOME THE WIN for us and our TIGER COMMUNITY for $310.00. Thanks to the Vance Wall foundation, who doubled all recent contributions, our impact went as far as $620.00!!!!!
OUTSTANDING!!!!! I am PROUD to announce that our Jackson-Reed High School has set a new record and will hopefully follow suit and exceed these monetary contributions next year!!!!!
Athletics this Week
Practices only; no games scheduled.
- Monday, 11/20: 10th Grade Town Hall, 10:40 am- 11:50 pm
- Tuesday, 11/21: Credit Recovery, 3:34-5:30 pm
- Wednesday, 11/22-Friday, 11/24: NO SCHOOL for Students & Teachers
Apprenticeship Field Trip, Friday 11/17
A multi-trade event with earn-while-you-learn construction apprenticeships from around our region. Tours, exhibits, demonstrations, food and drink. Apprenticeships represented: Bricklayers, Plumbers, Ironworkers, Insulators, Electricians, Operating Engineers, Sheet Metal, Steamfitters, Carpenters, Finishing Trades.
SAT and PSAT Scores Information
SAT scores and PSAT scores have been released for the October 11 and October 12 administrations! SAT scores (and any outstanding PSAT scores) should be released on November 16. Scores can be accessed by logging into your student’s College Board account at studentscores.collegeboard.org. Below are some resources for interpreting the scores and some troubleshooting tips if your student cannot find their score.
Score Interpretation Resources:
SAT (12th Grade):
PSAT/NMSQT (10th and 11th Grade):
- PSAT/NMSQT: Understanding Scores for Students and Families PDF
- Understanding Your Digital PSAT/NMSQT Score Report Video
PSAT 8/9 (9th Grade):
- PSAT 8/9: Understanding Scores for Students and Families PDF
- Understanding Your Digital PSAT 8/9 Score Report Video
Can’t Find Your Student’s Score?
Many students are having trouble accessing their scores online because they either have multiple College Board accounts, entered an email address on their answer sheet that is not the one associated with their College Board account, or didn’t enter an email address on their answer sheet. To remedy this problem please try the below steps:
- Contact Ms. Wells at Katherine.firstname.lastname@example.org to get your student’s score report emailed to you and your student’s SAT/PSAT Registration Number.
- Contact College Board to get these scores linked to your student’s College Board account via one of the following ways:
- Click here to use the "Score Matching Tool"
- Click here to fill out a Student & Parent Inquiry Form
- Call this number 866-756-7346
- If you need more assistance, contact Ms. Wells at Katherine.email@example.com.
AP Exam Information
Students in AP exams: Join Your AP Class Section(s) by Thursday, November 9th
Students in AP exams need to "join" their AP class section(s) in their College Board account, so that an AP exam can be ordered for them for the May 2024 AP exam administration. Check your College Board account to confirm that you have joined all of the AP courses you have this year (they will appear under "My AP"), and make sure you have joined all of them by Thursday 11/9.
Students were given their "join code" by their teacher in September; they can also get it from Ms. Levenson in the College and Career Center, Room 108A. Only students can join their class section; teachers and staff cannot do this for them.
- Click here for Instructions for joining your class section.
- Click here for FAQ/contact information if you are having trouble logging into your College Board account.
AP Exam Accommodations
For the May 2024 AP exam administration, accommodations requests and required documentation must be received by College Board by January 18th, 2024.
See information on the College Board website by clicking here.
9th & 10th Grade One-on One School Counselor Meetings
November Food Drive!
Help support a local food pantry by donating canned, dried, or boxed foods! Let's see which class can donate the most!!!
Literacy Night Interest
We are excited to announce our upcoming Literacy Night on January 11th, dedicated to celebrating the joy of reading and fostering a love for literacy in our community. Please take a moment to fill out this interest form to help us plan and ensure an engaging and enriching experience for all attendees.
Additional Updates By Area
Click on the headings below to see more information about each area. Please see "UPDATED" or "NEW" areas accordingly.