Greeting Jackson-Reed Community,
I hope you are enjoying the extended holiday weekend and recharging for the week ahead. The first week of October was a great start to the many activities and events we have taking place this month.
Last Thursday, College Awareness Month was launched by Mr. Wims, NAF Director, with an HBCU College Fair! Admissions representatives from over 15 Historically Black Colleges and Universities were in attendance and engaging Jackson-Reed Juniors and Seniors! Students left the event excited and informed about potential college pathways; some even received on-the-spot admission and scholarship dollars based on the work they’ve done during high school. Join me in thanking Mr. Wims for spearheading this event. We have more college-focused events taking place this week.
On Wednesday, October 11th, Seniors will take the paper version of the SAT, Sophomores, and Juniors will take the digital PSAT, and 9th Graders will be out of the building on a College Tour. Below is more detailed information regarding each cohort and their aligned college-focused activity. Then, on Thursday, October 12th, the College and Career Center will host two events in one evening. From 5:00–6:00 pm, we invite all Spanish-speaking families to attend a general information session on the college process. Following this session, we invite all families from 6:00–8:00 pm to the Atrium, for a College Fair with representatives from several local and out-of-state colleges and universities. Click here to see the list of attendees.
We’re thankful for your support with these activities as they help us prepare our students for post-secondary success!
Highlights from Last Week's Events
Click Below: Events this Week
PINKTOBER: Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Anti-Bullying: Walk in Someone Else's Shoes
Events this Week
- Tuesday, 10/10: 9th Grade Town Hall in Auditorium, 10:45- 11:40 am
- Wednesday, 10/11: PSAT for 10th & 11th/ SAT for 12th (WEAR COLLEGE GEAR)
- Wednesday, 10/11: 9th Grade College Tours (WEAR COLLEGE GEAR)
- Thursday, 10/12: PSAT for 9th Grade
- Thursday, 10/12: 👢👟👠REDO "WALK IN SOMEONE ELSE'S SHOES"👟👠👢 ANTI-BULLYING MONTH
- Thursday, 10/12: Council Member Frumin Visit in Auditorium Lobby, 9:00-10:30 am
- Thursday, 10/12: College Info Session for Spanish Speaking Families, 5:00-6:00 pm
- Thursday, 10/12: College Fair in Atrium, 6:00-8:00 pm
- Friday: 10/13: 💗💗Wear Pink for Breast Cancer Awareness Month💗💗
- Saturday, 10/14: JROTC Color Guard Competition in Aux Gym, 7:00-11:00 am
Tuesday, October 10th:
- Boys JV Soccer (AWAY) vs. Flint Hill @4:15 pm
- Boys Varsity Soccer (AWAY) vs. Eleanor Roosevelt @ 5:30 pm
- Volleyball (AWAY @ Dunbar) vs. Bard @5:00 pm
- Field Hockey (HOME) vs. Brookwood @ 4:00 pm
Wednesday, October 11th:
- Girls Varsity Soccer: SENIOR NIGHT (HOME) vs. Banneker @4:00 pm
- Boys Varsity Soccer (HOME) vs. Banneker @5:30 pm
Thursday, October 12th:
- Cross Country (AWAY @ Kenilworth) vs. High School XC Meet
- Girls Varsity Soccer (AWAY) vs. Maret @4:00 pm
- Field Hockey (HOME) vs. Meridian @4:00 pm
- Boys JV Soccer (AWAY @ Deal) vs. WIS @ 4:00 pm
- JV Football (HOME) vs. Dunbar @ 6:00 pm
- Volleyball (HOME) vs. Phelps @ 6:00 pm
Friday, October 13th:
- Field Hockey (AWAY) vs. Potomac School @4:30 pm
- Varsity Football (HOME) vs. Dunbar @6:00 pm
Saturday, October 14th:
- Volleyball (TBA) vs. Ballou @12:15 pm
- Monday, 10/16: Fire Drill
- Monday, 10/16: WISP Hosting Japan Students
- Monday, 10/16: "Chat & Chew" in Library, 11:45 am- 12:45 pm
- Tuesday, 10/17: PTSO Community Event: College Admissions in Auditorium, 7:00-8:00 pm
- Wednesday, 10/18: THE GREAT SHAKE OUT RESCHEDULED @ 10:10 am
- Wednesday, 10/18: Stop the Bleed Training, 3:30-5:30 pm
- Saturday, 10/21: Principal's Coffee w/ PTSO in College & Career Center, 10:00-11:00 am
- Saturday, 10/21: Boy's Basketball Clinic in Main Gym, 9:00 am-12:00 pm
THIS WEEK: PSAT and SAT School Day Announcements UPDATED
In in effort to prepare for college readiness, our students will be taking the PSAT and SAT this week. Due to some changes at the College Board level, this will look a little differently than it has in the past at Jackson-Reed. Please read the section below that pertains to your student’s grade level to understand what testing will look like for them.
Have a calculator at home that you no longer need? We'd love if you could donate it for our seniors taking the SAT on Wednesday, October 11th! All calculator types are accepted except if they have a raised screen or a qwerty keyboard. Please bring any donations to the main office and ask for Ms. Wells. Thank you!
Jackson-Reed PTSO News
PTSO Community Event: Making Sense of the College Admissions Landscape
Upcoming Parent Teacher Conferences (PTCs): October 19th
Parent Teacher Conferences (PTCs) will be taking place VIRTUALLY on Thursday, October 19th from 12:00 pm -7:00 pm using the Microsoft Teams platform. As done in the past, families will receive an email with information on how to register and schedule conferences with your student's teacher/s. Families will be able to see the openings/availability of all teachers on one screen.
Emails with information on how to register for a Parent Teacher Conference (PTC) will be sent in two waves. This is to ensure ALL families get access to a conference. Please keep an eye on your email inboxes on the following dates.
- Conference Registration Emails Wave 1: Tuesday, October 10th
- Conference Registration Emails Wave 2: Friday, October 13th
If you do not receive a PTC email by Friday, please contact AP Minsker (email@example.com).
Additional Updates By Area
Click on the headings below to see more information about each area. Please see "UPDATED" or "NEW" areas accordingly.