Greetings Jackson-Reed Community,
We hope you had an enjoyable weekend and are excited to see what the week ahead offers!Although last week was short, several events are worth noting and highlighting. On Monday, Kaichi Mirai High School students from Saitama, Japan, shadowed several J-R students/classes and graced us with a short dance performance during lunch. Mr. Geremia, Social Studies Teacher, and Ms. Lorenzo, NAF Director, coordinated such a memorable experience for both groups of students. For that, join me in thanking them for their hard work!
We hope all parents and families had a chance to hear about the academic progress of your child(ren) during conferences this past Thursday. Teachers shared specific skills students were learning, improvement plans, and their commitment to building solid and sustainable relationships with their classes. Conferences are an excellent opportunity to grow and nurture the relationships you've made with teachers. Thank you for partnering with us in supporting student learning.
The activities for the week ahead are all Homecoming-focused: spirit week, a pep rally, a football game, and our Homecoming dance to conclude the celebration. The week of Homecoming is an exciting and joyful time for students and the school. We hope all students will participate in Spirit-week events detailed below by purchasing a cohort-specific shirt, attending the Homecoming dance, attending the Homecoming Football game, or participating in fundraising events with local partners! If students are attending the dance, they must arrive prior to 9:30 pm to enter. A fundraiser for Spirit Week will take place on Friday, 10/27, at Sol Mexican Grill from 4:00–8:00 p.m., where a portion of sales will be donated to Jackson-Reed's SGA. We are looking forward to this week’s festivities.
Israel-Hamas War: Resources for DCPS Educators
Jackson-Reed is one of the most diverse schools in the District and is home to students, educators, and staff with various backgrounds. As the conflict evolves in the Gaza Strip, we understand the local and global impact of these events and that members of our community may be experiencing feelings of anger, grief, and/or fear as they work to make sense of the violence. This is an opportunity to reinforce our R.O.A.R. value of "respect" to all students while simultaneously creating safe spaces where students can ask questions, examine multiple perspectives, and raise their thoughts and concerns—especially when exploring current events rooted in conflict. To address students' and staff's social, emotional, and educational needs, the Central Office team has curated the attached list of resources. We invite you to review these resources that our staff have been provided to use in their classroom.
Events this Week
- College Admissions Rep Visits this Week
- Monday, 10/23- Friday, 10/27: Homecoming Spirit Week
- Tuesday, 10/24: Senior Block Party, 11:55 am- 12: 55 pm in Gym
- Tuesday, 10/24: LSAT Meeting in Conference Room, 7:00-8:00 am
- Tuesday, 10/24- Thursday, 10/26: Credit Recovery in Library (Standing Event)
- Wednesday, 10/25: Junior Town Hall, 3:00 pm in Auditorium
- Wednesday, 10/25: College Essay Mentoring in College & Career Center (Standing Event)
- Wednesday, 10/25: Varsity Volleyball Senior Night Dinner in Atrium, 5:30-9:00 pm
- Thursday, 10/26: Class of 2026 Spirit Day in Auditorium Lobby, 11:50 am- 12:50 pm
- Thursday, 10/26: SAT Senior Makeups with Ms. Wells in Library
- Friday, 10/27: Homecoming Pep-Rally, End of 4th Period
- Friday, 10/27: SPIRIT WEEK FUNDRAISER at Sol Mexican Grill (20% goes to SGA): 4:00-8:00 pm
- Saturday, 10/28: Jackson-Reed Homecoming Dance in Gym, 7:00-10:30 pm
Athletics this Week
Monday, October 23rd:
- SENIOR NIGHT Boys Varsity Soccer (HOME) vs. Coolidge @5:30 pm
Tuesday, October 24th:
- Girls JV Soccer (HOME) vs. Flint Hill @ 4:00pm
- Volleyball (HOME) vs. McArthur @6:15 pm
Wednesday, October 25th:
- SENIOR NIGHT Volleyball (HOME) vs. Flint Hill @ 5:30 pm
- SENIOR NIGHT for Cross Country at Volleyball Game
Thursday, October 26th:
- Volleyball (HOME) DCIAA Quarter Finals vs. TBD
Friday, October 27th:
- Field Hockey (AWAY @MLK Park, MD) vs. Brookewood @5:00 pm
- Girls Varsity Soccer (AWAY) vs. Bullis @4:00 pm
Saturday, October 21st:
- Varsity Football HOMECOMING (HOME) vs. Theodore Roosevelt @ 2:00 pm
- Tuesday, 10/31- Thursday, 11/2: Credit Recovery in Library (Standing Event)
- Wednesday, 11/1: College Essay Mentoring in College & Career Center (Standing Event)
- Thursday, 11/2- Saturday, 11/4: J-R Theater Presents "She Kills Monsters"
- Friday, 11/3: NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS
Panorama Student Survey
Chevy Chase Community Center and Library Survey
Senior SAT Makeups, Thursday 10/26: Registration Required
A Message from the Murch Fall Fair Committee
REAL TALK: Time to Get Real! Virtual Event for Black Students
Real Talk is a career and college exploration initiative designed to connect Black students and families with Black professionals and representatives from colleges and access organizations across the country. We empower Black students to own their future their way. Click here to enlarge the flyer.
🪅🎉🥳 SPIRIT WEEK 🪅🎉🥳
SPIRIT WEEK IS HERE! Please see below to view the spirit days as well as a short description of each:
- Monday, 10/23- Dynamic Duo (Grab your teaching bestie and come dressed up as a twin or famous character duo)
- Tuesday, 10/24- Generation & Seniors Day (Freshmen-2010's, Sophomores-2000's, Juniors-90's, Seniors-Choose Generation; Staff- choose your generation!)
- Wednesday, 10/25- Barbie VS Ken Day
- Thursday, 10/26- Country VS Country Club Day
- Friday, 10/27- Class Colors Day (Purchase a class T-Shirt earlier in the week and come to school dressed up in your class's shirt. Freshmen-Green, Sophomore-Grey, Juniors-White, Seniors-Black)
Homecoming Ticket and Class T-Shirt Purchases
Students can purchase Homecoming tickets before school, during lunch, and after school. Class T-Shirts will also be available for sale. Both tickets and T-Shirts are $15.00 and ONLY CASH IS ACCEPTED.
🌮🇲🇽 Friday FUNDRAISER at Sol Mexican Grill 🌮🇲🇽
Let's close out Homecoming Spirit Week with a BANG! Sol Mexican Grill of Tenleytown (about a 5-minute drive away) has partnered with Jackson-Reed to help raise funds for our SPIRT WEEK! On Friday, 10/27, between 4:00pm-8:00 pm, 20% of all sales will be donated to the Jackson-Reed SGA for future school-based events. COME HAVE A TACO (or 5) AND LET'S CELEBRATE! Shirts will also be on sale!
Address: 4220 Fessenden St NW Washington DC, 20016
Check out the menu HERE!
❇️Senior Spirit Day❇️
Tuesday, October 24th is Senior Spirit Day, and seniors will be having a Senior Block Party in the gym lobby and the main gym during lunch. This block party will include food (pizza), music, and games. Come out on Tuesday and celebrate our Seniors!
🤩Class of 2026 SpiritDay🤩
The Class of 2026 will be celebrating their October SPIRIT DAY on Thursday, October 26th in the Auditorium Lobby from 11:50 am -12:50 pm. Remind a Sophomore near you!
Jackson-Reed Theatre Presents: "She Kills Monsters" by Qui Nguyen
Dates: November 2nd- 4th & November 9th-11th
House Opens: 6:30pm
Show Begins: 7:30pm
Saturday, Nov. 4th: Matinee at 2:30pm
Location: Blackbox Theater (Chesapeake St. Doors)
Jackson-Reed Theater's Fall play presents a dramatic comedy celebrating family, friendship and the power of imagination. “She Kills Monsters” tells the story of Agnes Evans, the classic girl-next-door, who stumbles upon the Dungeons & Dragons notebook of her deceased younger sister, Tilly. As Agnes immerses herself in her sister’s imaginary world, we join her on an action-packed adventure discovering demons, cheerleaders and the spirit of sisterhood along the way.
“She Kills Monsters” is a must-see for fans of geek culture, 90's nostalgia, and anyone who's ever felt like they didn't belong.
*This production contains disturbing language and mature themes, including death, grief, bullying, violence, and sexuality. It may not be appropriate for younger audiences. (PG-13)
Tickets Available Online October 19
Students: $5; Adults: $15, Faculty & Staff: Free
Additional Updates By Area
Click on the headings below to see more information about each area. Please see "UPDATED" or "NEW" areas accordingly.