Greeting Jackson-Reed Community,
I hope you had a restful, re-energizing weekend. We hope some of you were able to attend the Mayor's "Art All Night" event and expose yourself to some local art and music. A big "thank you" goes out to Mr. Minsker, Assistant Principal, for coordinating the Jackson-Reed location for Tenleytown. Some of our own Jackson-Reed NAF and Club students displayed and sold their work and others sang center-stage in the Rose Garden (with Mr. Minsker on bass guitar). Our Tiger pride was on full display throughout the evening, and we're excited about the possibility of participating in the annual event for years to come.
Our NAF Academies were busy last week. On Tuesday night, our hard-working NAF Directors, Ms. McClure, Mr. Wims, and Ms. Lorenzo, coordinated and supported an information session for Jackson-Reed students and families interested in knowing more about NAF Academies. The highlight of the evening was the panel discussion led by our NAF student leadership, where they got into the details of the sequence of coursework for each Academy and shared anecdotes from internships and networking opportunities. The discussion was followed by a highly anticipated ice cream social, where each Academy showed off project artifacts in an expo-like setting in the Atrium. Our NAF Academy students embodied poise, leadership, and confidence throughout the event, impressing all who attended. Amazing work!
October is Bullying Prevention Month, and at Jackson-Reed, we are committed to fostering a safe, supportive, and inclusive environment for students. With the help of some of our Climate & Culture team members, we will bring attention to the issue with themed activities throughout the month. These activities will help raise awareness, promote kindness, and work towards ensuring that every student feels respected and valued in their educational journey. If you have additional questions about preventing bullying, please get in touch with Mr. Seraile, Director of Culture and Climate (firstname.lastname@example.org), so he can direct you to other resources or the appropriate team member.
October is also College Awareness Month. There are several college-focused events going on throughout the school this month. Jackson-Reed regularly holds "College Admissions Rep Visits" in our College and Career Center throughout the week, intended for Juniors and Seniors. But this month, all students will have additional opportunities to explore college options with the following events. If you are interested in learning more or have questions about the college process, I encourage you to attend the events below and check out the Jackson-Reed College & Career page by clicking here. We hope this month equips Jackson-Reed students and families with the necessary information to be successful on the college pathway.
October College Awareness Month Events
- Thursday, 10/5
- HBCU College Fair, 8:00-12:30 pm in the Aux Gym
- Wednesday, 10/11
- PSAT for 10th & 11th Grade
- SAT for 12th Grade
- 9th Grade College Tour Field Trip
- Thursday, 10/12
- 9th Grade PSAT
- College Info for Spanish Speaking Families, 5:00-6:00 pm in College & Career Center
- College Fair, 6:00-8:00 pm in the Atrium
- Tuesday, 10/17
- PTSO Community Meeting: College Admissions, 6:00-7:00 pm in Auditorium
- Thursday, 10/26
- SAT Makeups
Highlights from Last Week's Events
Click Below: Events this Week
Events this Week
- Monday, 10/2- Thursday, 10/5: Picture Days w/ Lifetouch in Auditorium
- Wednesday, 10/4: Anti-Bullying "Walk in Their Shoes" Day- Students and staff are encouraged to wear mismatched shoes to symbolize walking in someone else's shoes.
- Thursday, 10/5: HBCU College Fair in Aux Gym
- Fridays, 10/6: Hispanic Heritage Celebration in Atrium, 11:55 am-12:40 pm
- Saturday, 10/7: SAT Day (open to non-J-R students)
Athletic Events (UPDATED 10/2)
Monday, October 2nd:
- Boys Varsity Soccer (HOME) vs. Theodore Roosevelt @4:00 pm
Tuesday, October 3rd:
- Girls Varsity Soccer (AWAY) vs. St. Johns @4:00 pm
- Girls JV Soccer (AWAY) vs. St. Johns @5:30 pm
- Field Hockey (HOME) vs. St. James @4:30 pm
- Volleyball (AWAY) vs. HD Woodson @5:00 pm
Wednesday, October 4th:
- Boys Varsity Soccer (AWAY @RFK) vs. SWW @4:00 pm
Thursday, October 5th:
- Volleyball (AWAY @CHEC) vs. McKinley Tech
- Varsity Football (AWAY) vs. Eastern @6:00 pm
- JV Football (AWAY)- PENDING
- Girls Varsity Soccer (HOME) vs. Holy Child @4:00 pm
- Girls JV Soccer (HOME) vs. Holy Child @5:30 pm
Friday, October 6th:
- Cross Country (AWAY in Cary, NC) vs. Great American Classic
Saturday, October 7th:
- Volleyball (HOME) vs. Tiger Paws Invitational @8:00 am
- Cross Country (AWAY in Cary, NC) vs. Great American Classic @8:00 am
- Ultimate Frisbee (AWAY in Fairfax, VA) vs. Falling Fling @TBA
- Wednesday, 10/11: PSAT for 10th & 11th/ SAT for 12th
- Wednesday, 10/11: 9th Grade College Tours
- Thursday, 10/12: PSAT for 9th Grade
- Thursday, 10/12: College Info Session for Spanish Speaking Families, 5:00-6:00 pm
- Thursday, 10/12: College Fair in College & Career Center, 6:00-8:00 pm
- Friday, 10/13: Hispanic Heritage Celebration in Atrium, 11:55 am-12:40 pm
- Saturday, 10/14: JROTC Color Guard Competition in Aux Gym, 7:00-11:00 am
- Thursday, 10/19: Earthquake Drill
- Saturday, 10/21: Principal's Coffee w/ PTSO in College & Career Center, 10:00-11:00 am
PSAT and SAT School Day Announcements
In an effort to prepare for college readiness, our students will be taking the PSAT and SAT again this October. Due to some changes at the College Board level, this will look a little differently than it has in the past at Jackson-Reed. Please read the sections below that pertain to your student’s grade level to understand what testing will look like for them.
Have a calculator at home that you no longer need? We'd love if you could donate it for our seniors taking the SAT on Wednesday, October 11th! All calculator types are accepted, except if they have a raised screen or a qwerty keyboard. Please bring any donations to the main office and ask for Ms. Wells. Thank you!
Jackson-Reed PTSO News
PTSO Community Event: Making Sense of the College Admissions Landscape
Please join us in congratulating one of our Tigers, Veronica Duran, for her Latino Youth Art Beats Award. This was a national art competition held in several cities in the U.S., and Veronica was one of the winners for Washington, DC. She will be honored by the Mayor's Office on Latino Affairs on Thursday, October 5th. Thank you to Ms. Hasan for helping her achieve this accomplishment! See her award-winning artwork below!
Picture Day Schedule
Please see the "Picture Day Schedule" for this week below and remind your student to bring their pre-order forms with them! The schedule is based on student's English classes.
Additional Updates By Area
Click on the headings below to see more information about each area. Please see "UPDATED" or "NEW" areas accordingly.